:: Re: [DNG] initramfs?
Author: Dr. Nikolaus Klepp
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] initramfs?
Am Freitag, 16. November 2018 schrieb Hendrik Boom:
> On Fri, Nov 16, 2018 at 05:11:01AM -0500, Steve Litt wrote:
> >
> > Well, maybe because initramfs is a PITA many people choose to avoid.
> > When things go wrong, it's the ultimate black box. And I'm very scared
> > that one day Poettering/Redhat/Freedesktop.org will corner the market
> > on initramfs makers, will make them systemd only, sans-systemd distros
> > who have completed the merge will have the choice of backing out the
> > merge or going to systemd.
>
> (1) Is initramfs so weird that only one or two people in the world can
> make one?

Definitly not. If you want to play with initrd vs. no initrd you should look at buildroot.

> (2) What is initramfs good for? Linux used to work just fine without
> it.

If you want your system to boot real fast to userland (that is: < 1s), then you most likely end up using an initrd that is linked to the kernel and loaded by the bootlader. That said, my rpi0 boots from kernel start to userland in < 0.5s, but the bootloader takes a minimum of 1 second to load the kernel :-)