:: Re: [DNG] Devuan on a Purism
Author: Andreas Messer
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Devuan on a Purism
On Sun, Nov 04, 2018 at 12:11:44AM +0100, Adam Borowski wrote:
> It's a _touchscreen_ phone, not a "real" computer. For that you want Gemini
> or GPD Pocket. The input device is not fit for any real hacking. You at
> most connect to it from the outside.

Well, according to their information it is going to have an USB-C with
HDMI output. So Id expect you'ld be able to connect a standard monitor and
USB Keyboard/Mice.

Looking to their first planning with iMX.6, the devkit even had an SATA
connector :-)

> >   I'd love to try upgrading it's PureOS to Devuan too.  It shouldn't be
> > too hard, as the Librem5 is designed to allow a number of distributions
> > to run on it.  Or at least it was, I can no longer find references on
> > https://puri.sm/products/librem-5/ of alternative distributions that
> > will be installable on the Purism5.
>
> Crossgrading might be not trivial; vendors of such phones tend to customize
> them in a way that makes running an off-the-shelf system require re-doing a
> ridiculous amount of non-upstreamed changes.

Regarding what they write on their site, many of their development
is made on Debian Buster. They just recently announced that their own
'distro' is making some progress. Lots of their changes are pushed back
upstream, so I think we can expected that it will run other distrbutions.

cheers,
Andreas