:: [devuan-dev] Notes - Devuan meet Oc…
Author: Plasma
To: devuan-dev
Subject: [devuan-dev] Notes - Devuan meet Oct. 31, 2018
And now for your kind attention, the devuan-dev meet notes from
Wednesday, October 31st, 2018.

plasma41

# Devuan meet Oct. 31, 2018 @20:30 UTC

Pad is here:
https://pad.dyne.org/code/#/1/edit/cfbrjT5XEVF44vUC4R+SFA/EZ0J4iLANNc5Hajtx8Yd+zUs/

Meet here: https://vdc.dyne.org/devuan
   * Please post notes prior to the meet.
   * Please add your name as 'Present' below when you get to the
     meet.
   * When adding a comment in someone else's notes, please
     pre-pend your name like this: (whoever) whatever . . .

Present:
golinux, rrq, amesser, Centurion Dan, duncan, fsr, RickMoen, leepen

## Old Business
- d1conf planning:
https://pad.dyne.org/code/#/1/edit/lSWG6jS9TqtJdk3iUoHzsA/Fmgq2gMR+OCUA8aEQ1TY59iG/
- d1conf announcement:
https://pad.dyne.org/code/#/1/edit/Cr447i-kZTo07uzPbg7UsQ/KsnnAcL5dCwnUkb8YoJD6LrS/

## Old Actions

### rrq
- progress on AWS uploading; Centurion_Dan laid down the yellow brick
  road, and now it's just a matter of pruning the base system, plus
  inventing the scripts for headless automation from CI.
  - TL;DR; uploading a bootable image is done in three steps: firstly
    deposit it into an "S3 bucket", then import from there into the
    "EC2 area" as a snapshot, then "register" that as an "AMI".
    The middle step includes an enabling pre-requisite: to give the
    "vmimport" AWS user rights to access the S3 bucket for importing
    into EC2 (the copying step apparently is executed in that persona).
    All steps are "trivial" and available as command-line actions
    through "aws-cli" (as well as mousing gestures in a web browser[*]).
    At one time the last step divided into two as well: copy the
    snapshot as a new snapshot (so as to gain proper ownership), then
    register the latter. But maybe I did something else wrong at that
    time, as I don't remember doing it subsequent times. [*] one of the
    upload/import steps (I don't remember which) were unreliable via the
    web browser, and basically requires "aws-cli".
  - "Devuan 2.0 ASCII (rrq)" at Ireland (eu-west-1).
    Current image, with some "useless extras" in it.

## New Business

### Centurion Dan
Lots of exciting stuff:
- Have my (donated) TalosII Power9 system running as a buildhost for
Devuan ppc64el (little endian) and hopefully will have ppc64
(big endian)

- Raptor Computer Systems have indicated a strong interest in evaluating
Devuan for their internal systems once we have it working for ppc64el.

- Fixed a bug in releasebot that caused binary jobs misconfigurartion -
double ups of arch "all" on created jobs

- worked with KatolaZ to resolve buildhost issues for unstable

### KatolaZ
<KatolaZ> my report is as follows: I have been working on sysvinit for
          Debian and on upgrading ceres packages
<KatolaZ> we are making good progress with sysvinit, also thanks to
          Jesse Smith joining in

### RickMoen

The mailing list bounce message problem _may_ be (and I strongly suspect
is) a familiar one I've seen on pretty much all mailing lists in recent
years: Some subscribers start getting high bounce scores and aren't
getting some postings, but don't know why unless they read their
receiving MTA logs. Those logs and the MTA and MLM logs of the MLM
(mailing list manager) host reveal that postings from _some_ sending
domains fail DMARC antiforgery checks upon retransmission to the
subscriber. Failure occurs if (1) sending domain has a strongly asserted
DMARC policy and (2) receiving MTA enforces that policy (as does, e.g.,
GMail). To confirm or disconfirm this being a problem for the Dyne
mailing list host, check the MTA and/or MLM log files for 55x delivery
failures citing DMARC validation problems. And I've posted to Dng the
best remediation Mailman so far supports.

### amesser
Some E-Mail communication regarding elogind for Debian (Debian Init
Diversity mailing list). Maybe we can have one elogind package for
Debian and Devuan

## New Actions