:: Re: [DNG] Devuan on RaspberryPi W Z…
Author: Dr. Nikolaus Klepp
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Devuan on RaspberryPi W Zero segfaults
Am Freitag, 26. Oktober 2018 schrieb Dr. Nikolaus Klepp:
> Am Freitag, 26. Oktober 2018 schrieb Arnt Karlsen:
> > On Thu, 25 Oct 2018 23:55:36 +0200, Dr. wrote in message
> > <201810252355.36418.dr.klepp@???>:
> >
> > > Hi all!
> > >
> > > I have a problem with Devuan on s new RPi W Zero: Raspbian (latest
> > > image) boots fine,
> >
> > ..does our own
> > https://mirror.leaseweb.com/devuan/devuan_ascii/embedded/devuan_ascii_2.0.0_armel_raspi1.img.xz
> > work for you?
>
> It kind of works. The serial console is silent. Serial over USB with "modules-load=dwc2,g_serial" does not work at all. WiFi misses firmware - so does not work. I think there are suttle differences between "0/1" and "W0" that are taken care of in raspbian but not in devuan. Most likely it's the firmware and the kernel. I had simillar problems with RPi3+, it also needs the latest firmware + kernel and des not work with the devuan rpi3 image.
>
> > > system updates work. Then I try to get rid of
> > > systemd (replace raspbian sources with devuan sources). Installing
> > > devuan-keyring works. Installing "sysv-rc" "sysvinit-core" and
> > > "sysvinit-utils" throws several segfaults. "reboot" segfaults, too.
> >
> > ..the Raspian people calls their BCM2835 hardware arch armhf, while
> > we and Debian calls it armel. Our armhf might work on RPi 2 and 3,
> > but will fail on RPi 1 and Zero.
>
> Now this explains a lot - especially why the same procedure applied on RPi3+ worked.
>
> > ..you will need to add the armel arch and replace all Raspian's armhf
> > binaries with our armel binaries, and probably throw in some nefarious
> > magic, to get in working your way.
>
> All magic didn't work. Burned my stock of black candles, did other unspeakable thing, no use (The cat suvived! Would not touch the cat!). Migration from armhf to armel would work like a charm, if there was not the package manager that complains about not matching version numbers in armhf/armel and consequently not configuring the package. I have found no way to persuade that beast to ignore that pesky package suffix when the version number matches :-(
>
> Now I try to transplant kernel+firmware from raspbian to devuan imag, let's see how that turnes out. I would be happy if I git a serial console working ...
>
> Nik
>

> > ..devuan_ascii_2.0.0_armel_raspi1.img.* works fine on my RPi1, FWIW.
> Don't doubt that. But RPiW0 has USB-OTG direct from the cpu, RPi1 has a usb hub. That little difference turns out to be quite big. And the connectors don't match ... *sigh* ... but I need that USB-OTG, that's the reason for RPiW0 ..

Some additional information:
- booting with devuan rpi1 image gives no serial console, but rpi boots (to an unknown state)
- adding "enable_uart=1" in config.txt and booting does not work, rpi activity led goes dark after ~ 1 sec.
- copying kernel+firmware+bootcode+kernelmoduels from raspbian to devuan and adding "enable_uart=1" works, kernel log is spit to uart. Userspace does not work, I cannot get a login console.

Oh, I have no matching hdmi cable, so I don't know what happens on tty1.

Any ideas?