:: Re: [DNG] Everyone OK for using the…
Page principale
Supprimer ce message
Répondre à ce message
Auteur: Daniel Abrecht
À: dng
Sujet: Re: [DNG] Everyone OK for using the logger program for runit logging?
On 22/10/2018 19.38, Steve Litt wrote:
> Is logger just another sister of syslog-ng and rsyslog?

logger does per default log to the system logger. That can be rsyslog,
syslog-ng, or any other system syslog daemon, really (with the exception
of journald, which does it's own thing.). This is why I think everything
should log to the system logger, which can then still log everything to
log files or to another server or anything else. logger is one of the
few logging clients which even support rfc5424 and its structured data
elements, so I quiet like it, but I think anything that can log to the
syslog unix socket is fine.

So, long story short, logger is a syslog client, while rsyslog,
syslog-ng, etc. are logging daemons/servers.

There is currently no c logging library with rfc5424 support I'm aware
of (only rfc3164), while every logging daemon/server does support it,
but thats a different and minor problem. (I really should write one and
update my libjournal-shim)

Regards,

Daniel Abrecht