:: Re: [DNG] Everyone OK for using the…
Page principale
Supprimer ce message
Répondre à ce message
Auteur: Steve Litt
À: dng
Sujet: Re: [DNG] Everyone OK for using the logger program for runit logging?
On Mon, 22 Oct 2018 11:23:09 +0200
KatolaZ <katolaz@???> wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 22, 2018 at 11:16:30AM +0200, Didier Kryn wrote:
> > Le 21/10/2018 à 20:18, Steve Litt a écrit :
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > With runit, you can either use the "runit way" of recording log
> > > files, in which one looks in the daemon's run directory for
> > > something called .main, or you can use one of several logging
> > > programs. I'm using logger, and a Devuan ASCII VM guest I
> > > downloaded has the logger program and I didn't install it.
> > >
> > > The logger program appears to put messages with the correct
> > > timestamp, correct tag, and message, in the proper log file. This
> > > log file was /var/log/messages for logins to ssh.
> > >
> > > I have to choose one method of doing logs for Devuan's daemon log
> > > run scripts. Is doing it with the logger program OK with you?
> > >
> > > SteveT
> >

> >     syslog daemons are very convenient, rsyslogd, for example,
> > features a lot of methods to dispatch/centralize logs on the LAN
> > and perform several other actions. It is very usefull in an
> > environment with several interoperating hosts. The pprinciple is to
> > not write the log to a file but use the syslog mechanism (socket
> > and lock) and let the syslog daemon (eg rsyslogd) manage the logs.
> >
> >         Didier
>
> I would probably agree with Didier.

Good, now we're getting somewhere. My Devuan VM shows available
packages of syslog-ng and rsyslog. Each seems to have all sorts of
modules, some of which seem to govern the final log format (mongodb,
postgres, mysql etc). Interestingly, my VM has logger already
installed, but not syslog-ng nor rsyslog.

Is logger just another sister of syslog-ng and rsyslog?

Does the Devuan project have an official preference between rsyslog,
syslog-ng, logger, or some other program that handles additions to
logs? If no official preference, can you come up with an UNofficial
preference so I can incorporate it into daemon supervision?

Thanks,

SteveT