:: Re: [DNG] Who remembers rootkit..
Author: Andrew McGlashan
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Who remembers rootkit..

On 21/10/18 21:10, Jimmy Johnson wrote:
> I first noticed it while testing Stretch, I run a multimedia setup
> no problem with Jessie without systemd or wheezy, I was running a
> intel laptop HDMI to a big screen smart tv, the screen would go
> black and the audio would stop, I'm not the only on who has seen
> the problem as it's been mentioned on the Debian mailing list.
> Since then I have ran it on other systems, like Devuan, PCLinuxOS
> and Slackware too and have seen the the problem in real time while
> looking at the system log and I would see the kernel making calls
> to get a outside HTTP, I bring down my net connection and the
> kernel calls avahi daemon to bring it back up and make a HTTP
> connection, I stop avahi daemon and the kernel binds with the NIC
> and tries to get outside HTTP, that's where my firewall stops it.
> But the kernel keeps trying over and over and over endlessly to
> get outside HTTP and all this makes it imposable to watch my movie.
> Using the Intel laptop was convenient, but I got the idea to try my
> AMD nvidia desktop, I got the same kernel activity but no
> interference with audio/video, I'm now using ATI Radeon laptop,
> works the same as nvidia or maybe it's because their both AMD as I
> don't have nvidia or ATI running on a intel system that I can
> test.
>
> Questions?

Is the cable perhaps 1.4 type with built-in Ethernet? Wonder if that
might have something to do with it too. The SmartTV might be doing
the communication attempts. Maybe it is trying to tattle on you for
using video that it /thinks/ is breaking digital rights.. maybe
something else entirely. If the kernel is making the HTTP calls, it
might be under direction of the video driver that is able to network
with the screen via the HDMI cable.

Cheers
A.