:: Re: [DNG] [devuan-dev] Debian Buste…
Author: Steve Litt
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] [devuan-dev] Debian Buster release to partially drop non-systemd support
On Thu, 18 Oct 2018 08:50:51 -0400
Hendrik Boom <hendrik@???> wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 18, 2018 at 09:17:13AM -0300, Fernando M. Maresca wrote:
> > On Wed, Oct 17, 2018 at 04:20:36PM -0400, Steve Litt wrote:
> > >
> > > Multiseating? When's the last time you had serial cables to
> > > monitors? We have much more efficient Gigabit Eternet.
>
> Over serial lines? 1979. With text-only terminals. I think it may
> have been on Unix version 3 or so.
>
> The last time I used what I perceived as multiseating it was done
> over 10-megabit Ethernet. Worked fine.

OK. Next question. What is the cost difference between a computer
terminal and a low power computer with the muscle to run apps whose
data is on the central server?

If one uses terminals, how many users can a high power computer handle?
50? 100? On the other hand, if every user contributes enough CPU to run
the apps, it could be thousands.

SteveT

SteveT

Steve Litt
September 2018 featured book: Quit Joblessness: Start Your Own Business
http://www.troubleshooters.com/startbiz