:: Re: [DNG] Weird network issue - slo…
Author: golinux
To: mett
CC: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Weird network issue - slow to resolve IPs [solved]
On 2018-10-15 22:22, mett wrote:
> On 2018年10月16日 11:16:30 JST, golinux@??? wrote:
>>> On Sat, Oct 13, 2018 at 05:30:56PM -0500, golinux@??? wrote
>>>
>> It is incredibly annoying to be connected to a rather fast pipe yet
>> have
>> to travel on what feels like 56k connection to get to where I can
>> benefit from it.
>>>
>>> golinux
>>>

>> With help from my Devuan friends the connection times have improved
>> significantly. After little poking around and a very interesting talk
>> with my ISP, I decided that the ISP's DNS resolver was contributing
>> significantly to the slow connection times. A suggestion from a Devuan
>> ninja, encouraged me install unbound. I was instructed to put the IP
>> in
>>
>> /etc/resolv.conf and to enable the prepend (I can't remember exactly
>> where). Now my connection times are mostly pretty snappy.
>>
>> This has been an interesting, informative thread and I appreciate
>> everyone who shared their thoughts.
>>
>> Till next time,
>>
>> golinux
>>

> Hi,
>
> By the way,
> that means that was not some
> No-Net-Neutrality's effect
> if I understand correctly.

Can't say for sure. Wouldn't Comcast/Spectrum/RoadRunner(TWC) be able to
throttle traffic more effectively using their in-house DNS service?
Maybe unbound escapes their reach? Just speculating here because as
everyone has gathered, I am pretty clueless about the finer points of
networking.

I had no idea when I started this thread that it would turn into such an
informative monster. The collective wealth of knowledge on this list is
stunning. While most of it is way over my head, I have picked up a few
things and now have plenty of references if I get whacked again by a
network issue. Again, thanks to all.

golinux