:: Re: [devuan-dev] ZFS Packages
Author: Chris Dos
To: devuan developers internal list
Subject: Re: [devuan-dev] ZFS Packages
Looks like Debian has updated the bug about the missing sysvinit packages from
important to serious. Maybe they will get this done sooner then later.

I'm hoping they will apply the Devuan compatibility patch as well, then we
will not have to fork the packages.

Saying that, I've made packages for jessie-backports-sloppy (I don't think
Devuan has a sloppy though), ascii-backports, beowulf, and ceres. The
packages and the source can be found here:
https://cloud.chrisdos.com/index.php/s/eYbqWeKaXNJxJWr

The same source was used on all four releases and the packages were built
inside each release and seemed to boot up fine using a VM with a six drive zfs
rpool root along with another 30 drive pool.

Since SPL and ZFS are tightly coupled together, we should supply the SPL
packages along with the ZFS packages. If we do not supply SPL, then if a
newer version of SPL comes out it will cause ZFS to have issues.

The 0.8.x zfs series will have a merged SPL and ZFS so this will be moot in
the next version.

I'm kinda thinking it would be good to wait a couple of weeks to see what
happens with Debian before pushing these packages out. I know there is
breakage right now and it will cause a root based zfs system to not even boot,
so may just put these packages somewhere that someone can access them if they
need to, or perhaps proposed or experimental.

I'm still crossing my fingers that Debian will do the right thing so these
will not have to be forked.

    Chris