:: Re: [DNG] Introducing myself....
Author: KatolaZ
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Introducing myself....
On Mon, Oct 15, 2018 at 01:42:04PM +0100, g4sra wrote:

[cut]

> As an experienced systems administrator with strong gut instincts I can
> 'bolt stuff together' that 'just works' 24x7x365. Unfortunately, I am
> only a mediocre programmer, but despite that is my intention to
> contribute to Devuan what little I can and try to keep my mouth shut
> about the stuff I don't know.
>
> What I am looking for from the Devuan community now is an open
> discussion about the alternative init systems, what is available (I have
> googled and read a little), when to use which, and a very good reason
> why I shouldn't just boot straight into bash and go it alone with a bit
> of python ;)

Welcome g4sra,

we have had this discussion several times int he last four years, so
maybe having a look at the archives of this ML would be a good start.

At the moment, ASCII supports both sysvinit and OpenRC. The plan is to
add more init systems and/or process supervision systems starting with
Beowulf. The basic idea is that the supported init system should be
available as a choice at install time.

This list can be vocal at times, but I guess that's normal with
hundreds people around ;)

Devuan development discussions are happening on devuan-dev, same
server.

HND

KatolaZ