:: Re: [DNG] Weird network issue - slo…
Author: mett
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Weird network issue - slow to resolve IPs
On 2018年10月14日 10:59:54 JST, Hendrik Boom <hendrik@???> wrote:
>On Sat, Oct 13, 2018 at 05:30:56PM -0500, golinux@??? wrote:
>> On 2018-10-13 09:05, Steve Litt wrote:

>very
>enough
>> >
>> > Me too. I just noticed it about a month ago when I installed my own
>> > Unbound resolver instead of just sending all queries to 8.8.8.8.
>> >
>> > Somebody later in this thread mentions that you shouldn't judge
>> > resolution time by what the browser says. A few tests with dig and
>> > nslookup tell me that with most domains I've never hit before (or
>which
>> > have expired since I hit them), resolution usually takes less than
>> > second.
>> >
>> > In my case, I'm temporarily assuming that before installing my own
>> > resolver I never noticed how much of slow browser loading was due
>> > browser's inefficient dns operations.
>> >
>> > SteveT
>> >

>> I have some food for thought to share but first an update. A
>technician
>> came out today to check the line and setup. Line was clear and
>strong.
>> Switched the modem and now getting 256 down. But . . . internet is
>still
>> very slow to connect as verified by several of you. Once it gets to
>where
>> it's going, it is really fast. So here's my conclusion . . .
>>
>> I think we are finally seeing the effects of the demise of Net
>Neutrality.
>> Corporations are raking in a lot of money streaming videos to every
>> imaginable device and the tech sites that I/we frequent are a low
>priority.
>> So we are being bumped to the slow lane. Aaron Swartz and others saw
>this
>> coming and it has finally arrived. Will be interesting to see just
>how bad
>> it's going to get . . .
>
>Have you tried timing connection time to sites that likely *are* in the
>
>fast lane? Do we eveen now what they are?
>
>-- hendrik
>

>> HND
>>
>> golinux

hi,

a fast way if u re living in the EU would be to try a european site as net neutrality is still en vigueur there.

if same phenomen there(net slow),
then it s definitely smtg else.

But personally i would try more troubleshooting first like :
- ping all the gateways u found on ur
traceroute results(starting w/ the nearest ur terminal)
- try some options to traceroute or ping
to get an answer even from the gateways
that dont answer to icmp, like sending tcp or udp packets.

hth