:: Re: [devuan-mirrors] Problem with d…
Author: Evilham
To: devuan-mirrors
Subject: Re: [devuan-mirrors] Problem with deBIan.ipacct.com

Am 5. Oktober 2018 13:46:17 MESZ schrieb KatolaZ <katolaz@???>:
>On Fri, Oct 05, 2018 at 01:32:51PM +0200, Evilham wrote:
>
>[cut]
>

>> Happens when you quickly copy paste :-).
>> Amprolla kinda relies on this, otherwise it couldn't work offline.
>>

>Amprolla does not rely on any of this, since it uses debian repos and
>pkgmaster, directly, without any 302, and then it produced the merged
>repos that are successively rsynced to pkgmaster.
>
>> The problem has 0 to do with the IP version, it just happened to be
>more evident in this case.
>>
>> Say I host a devuan pkg mirror that 302s to deb.debian.example.org
>which is a RR of 8 IPs and 1 of those hosts is misconfigured,,you can
>expect requests that get redirected there to fail 1/8th of the time
>which a naïve check won't see 7/8ths of the time and users would not
>see 7/8 * (N-1)/N where N=$(count of IPs in deb.devuan.org) of the
>time, so pretty much never and would appear to be purely random.
>
>Unfortunatly, we can't check also all the debian mirrors. I mean, we
>physically cannot do that, since those are normally behind a CDN, and
>you only reach the one that is closer to the server that does the
>check, and there is no guarantee that you hit the same one that a
>mirror hits and/or that you hit the same one that a client hits...
>
>There is literally no way out of it.

That's obviously out of the scope of checks we can make and has 0 to do with the checks I proposed or the issue I described, it's at a totally different layer.

Can we temporarily remove from the RR the IP I mentioned?
It *is* being problematic and someone, somewhere will be "randomly" affected.

>> >Yes. we should check all the IPs connected with a certain mirror,
>and
>> >we should also include IPv6 support. It's in the TODO list :)
>>
>> I suggest the mentioned IP is removed until that is fixed, I can help
>implement the checks you need, there is nothing speciaç meeded for IPv6
>support besides this check which is valid for IPv4 too adding AAAA
>entries with the IPs that support that.
>>
>> If the machine you use to perform the checks, doesn't have IPv6
>connectivity, I can probably setup something.
>>
>> If you can point me to the repo with the checking scripts, I can see
>that the checks are implemented by Wednesday 10th/17th.
>

>The main checking script has always been at:
>
> https://pkgmaster.devuan.org/scripts/test_rewrite.sh

Great, will take a good look at it over next week, hopefully for Wednesday.