:: Re: [DNG] gtk2 vs 3
Author: aitor_czr
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] gtk2 vs 3
Hi Hendrik,

El 18/09/18 a las 15:23, Hendrik Boom escribió:
> On Fri, Sep 07, 2018 at 11:17:26AM +0200, aitor_czr wrote:
>> I spent a lot of time downgrading the frontend from Gtk3 to Gtk2, because of
>> the general preference in favor of this second one. The packages for jessie
>> will be available in a couple of days.
> You seem to have experience with both gtk2 and gtk3. And just*might*
> be able to answer the following.
>
> Years ago I discovered the hard way (with a*huge* scrolling region)
> that gtk2 restricted pixel counts to 16 bits.
>
> Is this restriction still there?
> Did they alleviate it with gtk3?
>
> -- hendrik

Here you are the overview of changes in different versions of Gtk:

https://fossies.org/linux/gtk+/NEWS

The best new I can say about Gtk3 is the fact that Gtk-3.22 will be LTS,
while they continue working on
other versions and breaking APIs with a view to Gtk4. This pattern will
be repeated in future versions,
in other words, a concrete version of Gtk4 will be declared LTS while
they continue playing and breaking compatibilities.

Personally, I'll try to mantain my projects compatible with both Gtk-2.4
and Gtk-3.22 whenever possible.

Cheers,

Aitor.