:: [DNG] Etherape's permissions and Li…
Author: Alessandro Selli
To: DNG
Subject: [DNG] Etherape's permissions and Linux Capabilities
  Hello,

    I recently installed etherape 0.9.13-1+b1 and found out it could not
do anything when run as an unprivileged user:

Error opening eth0 : eth0: You don't have permission to capture on that
device (socket: Operation not permitted) - perhaps you need to be root?

  I could find an "EtherApe (as root)" menu item in my desktop's menu
under System, but it asks for the superuser's password and I don't like
that.

  I then run the following command as root:

setcap CAP_NET_RAW=pe /usr/bin/etherape

  And i can now run etherape as a regular user without entering the
superuser's password or setting the binary SUID root.

  Could this be make a default setting at package installation, or at
least could there be some reference to this setting in the package info
and/or in the command man page?

--
Alessandro Selli <alessandroselli@???>
Tel. 3701355486