:: Re: [DNG] Mozilla and cloudflare to…
Author: Steve Litt
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Mozilla and cloudflare to hijack all your DNS requests - for your own good of course
On Sun, 9 Sep 2018 19:41:39 -0700
Rick Moen <rick@???> wrote:

> Quoting Steve Litt (slitt@???):
>
> > Some folks don't have what it takes to install their own caching DNS
> > server, even one as simple as Unbound, and therefore I think they're
> > better off with a known-decent public DNS than the DNS
> > DHCP-recommended by whatever hotspot they happen to be passing.
>
> Yes, this is a fair and valid point.
>
> Cloudfare has a reputation of super-fast results from its public
> recursive service (though obviously a local resolver would be
> significantly faster still), so that could be considered a slight
> advantage over other remote-service competitors -- and ISP recursive
> nameservice is, as a general rule, so infamously bad that any of these
> big public services is relatively attractive -- as long as you care
> nothing at all for privacy and control over your Internet
> infrastructure.

Good! I'll recommend Cloudflare's 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1 right along with
8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4, 9.9.9.9, and 149.112.112.112. And of course I'm also
recommending a glance at this page:

https://www.lifewire.com/free-and-public-dns-servers-2626062

After hearing what you say, I included an extra couple paragraphs
explaining that the reason I discussed public servers is that they
pretty much eliminated the need for software to play games with
your /etc/resolv.conf, but that having your own caching server is
better still.

Thanks,

SteveT

Steve Litt
September 2018 featured book: Quit Joblessness: Start Your Own Business
http://www.troubleshooters.com/startbiz