:: Re: [DNG] OT: firefox, privacy etc.
Author: Martin Steigerwald
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] OT: firefox, privacy etc.
mad.scientist.at.large@??? - 06.09.18, 03:34:
> how an i possibly get local storage of login information to work again
> in firefox? Can't find any configs in about:config to enable a
> master passord or learning of new login data without "sync",
> "pocket", etc. should i just switch to a browser with any respect
> for privacy and user preference, or is it time to just shoot my
> gigabit ethernet because every one is a whore? Yes, i specifically
> mean mozilla and google.

I still use Firefox with its own built in Software Security Device or
whatever is called and a master password just fine. Version 61.0.1-1.

My Firefox never forced me to use Pocket or Sync or anything. The start
page had some Pocket recommendations after some update, but I just
disabled those. You can even configure the start page after starting
Firefox or opening a new tab to be completely empty.

Also in Firefox settings there is a page about privacy settings. Right
at the beginning I have the master password thing. And I can open the
saved passwords, view and delete them. And they are all stored locally,
cause I do not have any Firefox account except with their bugzilla. So
there is not even a need to go to about:config. You can just configure
password storage in privacy settings page in settings.

Thus I really do not know what Firefox you are using. Your error report
was not very detailed. You did not even state version and installation
source of Firefox you are using.

There are a lot of issues with Firefox, but the ones you describe are no
issues here.

Also which browser would that be with more respect for privacy and user
preference? I use Chromium for some things, but in my eyes its worse,
not better when it comes to privacy and respecting user preferences.
While Google may not be as bad as Facebook, for a long time most of them
do not care about their former "don´t be evil" mantra. Up to a point
where some employees sometimes even protest internally about some
practices regarding data collection like the buyout of data from
Mastercard *without* consent of Mastercard owners.

Anyway, I recommend to install Firefox and Chromium by package, never
install it yourself. Why? Debian maintainers patch out some of the
privacy issues. Like telemetry for technical details and user
interactions. The Debian/Devuan packaged browser simply does not support
it. Of course I also recommend to use a version of Firefox of at least I
think it was 57 or higher. One with the new quantum engine. It really
makes a difference.

In addition to that I use Firefox and Chromium with uBlock Origin and
strict settings for it. And by default I do not allow *any* cookies. I
really whitelist websites for cookies. And found out that many websites
are pure and utter crap when it comes to report to the user that they
require cookies. Some even just open as a blank white or black page
without displaying anything and I can guess at whether uBlock Origin
blocked an external content deliver network (often "cdn" in domain name)
or its cause I do not allow cookies. Others simply forget logins or fail
at login, without telling why that is. On a quite large part of all
websites I used there is no error checking and reporting in case cookies
are disabled. If you are on unstable/testing, you can also install
uBlock Origin as package again. You may choose to install the addon
directly to receive updates earlier.

I also use some other privacy related addons. I learned a lot from an
excellent blog article series by Mike Kuketz¹. Its in German language
however, so you´d need a translation service in case you cannot read
German. Except Privacy Settings, which allows to configure (advanced)
privacy related settings, that you otherwise have to configure via
user.js or about:config, all plugins I´d like are available in
WebExtension format. Mike Kuketz does not recommend PrivacySettings
anymore. The new version has limited functionality (due to WebExtension
API) and another issue I forgot.

[1] https://www.kuketz-blog.de/firefox-ein-browser-fuer-datenschutzbewusste-firefox-kompendium-teil1/

Thanks,
--