:: Re: [maemo-leste] Fourth state upda…
Author: Pavel Machek
To: Merlijn Wajer
CC: maemo-leste
Subject: Re: [maemo-leste] Fourth state update
Hi!

> >> The N900 images linked in that update should now boot to a
> >> hildon-desktop with functioning wifi(icd2 backed by wpa_supplicant).
> >> After a (first) reboot, the virtual keyboard (hildon-input-method)
> >> should also work, once enabled from the settings!
> >>
> >> Booting on the N900 still takes more than a few minutes due to some
> >> PowerVR bugs.
> >
> > Thanks for heads up. Boot takes a few minutes, and produces scary
> > backtrace in the process. But it boots and system is slow but
> > usable. Good.
>
> The backtrace happens sometimes, but it doesn't seem have any effect on
> PowerVR functioning. PowerVR is still a bit sluggish, but it's ways
> faster than using mesa software rendering. We'll get it to work better
> in the near future, at least, that is the hope. But for now it's "good
> enough" that it's better to focus on other parts.

Yes, it is good enough.

> > Hmm, I can turn it off by long press of power button. But I don't know
> > how to turn it back on. It boots ok after I remove/reinsert battery.
>
> Yeah, this is something we have to fix for the alpha. I also found that
> 'shutdown -h' causes the device to reboot, rather than shutdown. Current
> thought is that it might be related to watchdogs that we use/set.

For me long-button press does not reboot, but leaves the phone in some
kind of permanent-off state.

> > I can set up an wifi connection and it seems to actually work. Wow!
> > Hmm, it would be nice to have some kind of web browser in default
> > installation. I tried installing midori, but ran out of disk space.
>
> Yes, wifi should work more or less. There is still wl1251-cal to provide
> better performance, but we ran into inexplicable issues with udev, where
> is used), but on udev reload it does. Might be related to (lib)cal
> locking.

For better interactive performance (ssh), turning off power_save
should help a lot.

> As for the disk space issue, there is a resize script on the latest
> image, but it doesn't actually do the right thing. We should fix that soon.
>
> You can do a live resize/repartition without rebooting/remounting. Just
> use fdisk, delete the rootfs partition, place it back on the same block,
> but with a larger end block. Then partprobe /dev/mmcblk1 and then
> resize2fs /dev/mmcblk1p2

I may try, thanks.

Would it be possible to package unicsy_demo?
https://github.com/pavelmachek/unicsy_demo Right now it is useful for
driver debugging, for example it can estimate battery remaining even
when battery is not calibrated. It can also reboot / poweroff the
machine, and read various sensors... When ofono is integrated, it can
also initiate calls and handle SMSes...

Best regards,
                                    Pavel