:: Re: [DNG] Which is the destiny of "…
Author: fsmithred
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Which is the destiny of "Gksu" ?
On 08/31/2018 10:54 AM, Vittorio Beggi GMAIL wrote:
> I have heard that on the next distros of Debian, the package "Gksu" wil be
> deprecated and no more included among the installable packages.

Right. There is no gksu in sid/ceres or buster/beowulf. The solution
suggested in Ubuntu only works in Gnome. (example: gedit
admin:///etc/default/grub). Some apps have already replaced gksu with
pkexec in stretch/ascii, and I wish that solution worked in all cases.
There are plenty of posts from people who can't start synaptic from the
menu, and I know of one case of someone (me) who can start synaptic from
the menu and install packages without having to provide a password.

A more universal replacement that I've been using is:
xterm -e su -c 'some-program'

It looks like there are some other replacements, such as 'sux' in Arch and
'zensu' in Manjaro. I don't know anything about them.

I suppose it's possible that gksu could survive if someone adopted or
forked it and wanted to maintain it.

fsmithred