:: Re: [DNG] [OT] donate to Slackware
Author: Jaromil
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] [OT] donate to Slackware
On Wed, 01 Aug 2018, KatolaZ wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 31, 2018 at 04:36:57PM -0700, Bruce Perens wrote:
> > Pretty funny. He just can't step away from hacking the
> > distribution long enough to do anything else, but I guess be with
> > his family. I don't see how he's going to resolve his own issues
> > this way.
> >

> It's plain incredible, not just funny, and also encouraging, in a
> weird way. That's probably why nobody can stop free software by any
> means: it woud be like trying to extinguish a volcano with a jug of
> water...

Romanticism aside, I believe Bruce has a point here: no doubts the
creativity of a few geniuses can motivate people to develop and
maintain projects of large proportions, Slackware being one of the
biggest I can think of.

The technical development activity alone is not sufficient for a
project to thrive: more different people need to be involved and
sustainability envisioned within the boundaries and resources that the
project offers.

I am in favor of facilitating the strong passion of people who like to
"just do it", being one myself, minimising the distractions, but still
the project's success depends from certain conditions to take place,
mainly I can think of briefly: healthy delegation model based on
skills rather than authority; horizontal governance that opens the
agency to different expertise; an healthy community and clear
communication channels; etc.

This is a rather big topic for me, having devoted to it most of my
late academic research and ultimately being the mission the Dyne.org
foundation pursues in facilitating unique software projects to thrive
without being killed by profit-driven agendas, but community and
quality driven processes.

ciao

--
  Denis Roio a.k.a. Jaromil  http://Dyne.org think &do tank
  Ph.D, CTO & co-founder    software to empower communities