:: Re: [DNG] systemd and ssh-server
Author: KatolaZ
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] systemd and ssh-server
On Wed, Jul 25, 2018 at 11:59:06AM -0400, Hendrik Boom wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 24, 2018 at 10:20:56PM -1000, Joel Roth wrote:
>
> > Katolaz wrote on March 2, 2018:
> >

> > Most of those "alarming" files are just systemd units files, put there
> > by daemons/packages/utilities who "also" support systemd in a way or
> > another. So they are not alarming but just *totally* *harmless* if you
> > don't have a running systemd as PID 1, since only systemd understands
> > and can run them. It would be *totally* *useless* (and utterly
> > *stupid* IMHO) to fork, rebuild, and maintain a few more hundred
> > packages only because they happen to provide a systemd unit file for
> > those systems where systemd is used.
>
> Package dependencies are of the form
>     Install X if Y is installed
> Too bad it doesn't handle
>     Install X it Y and Z are installed.
> I suspect, though, we don't wand to have to embed a SAT solver into the
> package manager.  It's already complicated enough.

Nope. Package dependencies are in the form:

X needs Y

You have no way of specifying:

X needs Y only of Z is present otherwise it needs W

especially because Z can be added or removed at a later time. Also,
packages ship binaries, and binaries are already compiled, so if your
binary was linked against libfbdirect, you need libfbdirect to be able
to run it, even if you'll never use the capabilities of
libfbdirect.

The example of the libfbdirect dependency I have in mind is that of
links2: the dep is there even if you will always use links2 only in a
virtual terminal, i.e. not in a framebuffer, and links2 will never
call any of those libfbdirect functions. Or, it will just call one of
them, realise that a framebuffer is not available, and signal it to
the user, and/or abort execution with an error.

Replace 'links2' with 'openssh-server' and 'libfbdirect' with
'libsystemd0', and you should see what I mean. Most of the De??an
installations actually have tons of libraries that are never used, or
are just used to probe for a certain functionality that is not
available. This happens all the time, under the hood.

The alternative to this is to use something like gentoo. Or Linux From
Scratch.

My2Cents

KatolaZ