:: Re: [DNG] ethernet interface name s…
Αρχική Σελίδα
Συντάκτης: Ralph Ronnquist
Ημερομηνία:
Προς: dng
Αντικείμενο: Re: [DNG] ethernet interface name swap (WAS: what has gone wrong with networking in ascii?

Rick Moen wrote on 16/07/18 07:44:
> Quoting Hendrik Boom (hendrik@???):
>
>> But I wold like to be able to run wheezy very occasionally -- there's an
>> application I have that suffered the end-of-days in wheezy -- so I'd
>> like to find another solution.
>
> http://www.enterprisenetworkingplanet.com/netos/article.php/3586546/Nail-Down-Network-Interface-Names-with-ifrename.htm

Yes, "ifrename" is capable and easy to use for this purpose. However,
one must make sure it runs before interfaces are configured, which
unfortunately is not the default case for a choice of using "eudev" for
configuration. (Primarily because "e" is before "i" in the natural
ordering of startup script invocations).

Thus, if your "/etc/network/interfaces" declares "allow-hotplug" for the
interface(s) concerned, you need to take extra steps. For example, you
can add "ifrename" as a required facility in "/etc/init/eudev" before
enabling it. In other words, it's the four steps of a) disabling
ifrename, b) do the edit, c) enable ifrenam, and d) update initramfs.
(There are many other ways to achieve the same result of course)

On the other hand, if your "interfaces" file declares "auto" for the
interface(s) concerned, you don't need to correct anything, but it would
suffice with steps c and d.

Also, if your "interfaces" file is quiet about the interface(s)
concerned, typically because you use one of the handy network management
daemons, you still need to ensure that the ifrename facility is started
before the network management daemon. This is likely to also be the
default setting, so steps c and d would suffice.

Ralph.