:: Re: [DNG] A Devuan kernel?
Author: KatolaZ
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] A Devuan kernel?
On Mon, Jul 09, 2018 at 07:59:11AM -0700, Jimmy Johnson wrote:

[cut]

> [PDF]D-Bus in the Kernel - LinuxCon 2014, Tokyo, Japan
>
> https://events.static.linuxfound.org/sites/events/files/slides/linuxconjapan2014.pdf
>

> GitHub - "dbus-like" code for the Linux kernel
> https://github.com/gregkh/kdbus

There is no kdbus support in the official Linux kernel. It has been
vetoed twice by Linus Torvalds.

> OutlawCountry exploit - What this won't tell you is that it was created for
> the CIA and first tested in Fedora, was designed to read windows file
> servers. they got caught.
> https://access.redhat.com/solutions/3099221
>
> Today Linux is pretty much owned by the NSA, including it's developers, not
> many educated eyes out there anymore to spot and report malware. Things have
> changed.

The one you mentioned is not a backdoor in the Linux kernel, rather a
vulnerability in a kernel distributed by RedHat, which was not proven
to be a backdoor. The vulnerability requires the attacker to be
already root in the system. Then, Linux 2.6.32 was available only on
Debian Squeeze, which is three releases behind the current Debian and
Devuan stable...

Do you have anything more concrete, please?

> > I can't say I have examined all that stuff in detail, but I think I
> > have a very rough idea of what is going on under the hood. And what I
> > saw is that the Linux kernel is in general very easy to read and to
> > understand. Hence my conclusion: if anything wrong was there, we would
> > most probably know already.
>

> KatolaZ, I came looking for help. Reading a linux kernel requires knowledge
> of software engineering, I don't have that knowledge or experience, even if
> I open kernel source I would have no idea what I was looking at. I just
> want to know if dbus or any other exploit is in the kernel. And/or can we
> have are own kernel?

No Jimmy, you came here crying that Devuan needed to have another
kernel because you had heard that unspecified kernel developers had
said that there are backdoors put by the NSA in the Linux kernel. And
you have not been able to substantiate your statement with any
concrete reference.

If you think that the two links you reported above are actually
supporting your claims, then there is nothing more left to talk about.

I don't know and I don't understand a lot of things. And for those
many things I don't understand and I don't know, I am left with
trusting the judgement of others who understand them better than I
do. I find it quite disapponting, but it's the price I have to pay for
my own ignorance.

HND

KatolaZ