:: Re: [DNG] systemd and wlan0 interfa…
Author: Steve Litt
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] systemd and wlan0 interface problem
On Sat, 30 Jun 2018 17:06:09 -0400
Haines Brown <haines@???> wrote:

> I've long struggled with a problem with a new installation of ascii. I
> can get an ethernet connection, but with a usb WiFi dongle using an
> Atheros chip, my wlan0 interface gets automatically changed to wl<mac
> address>, and so cannot communicate with DHCP.

Look back through the archives a couple years, and you'll find one of my
emails with a shellscript to tell you all wifi device names and all
wired ethernet names. A couple days after I submitted it, somebody else
improved it. A shellscript like that belongs on every computer, so it
can be invoked from every init script and run file and other
shellscripts needing the exact name of network devices.

This even works if you're using a laptop with a wifi dongle that gets
plugged into various usb ports and therefore has various predictable
names.

SteveT

Steve Litt
June 2018 featured book: Twenty Eight Tales of Troubleshooting
http://www.troubleshooters.com/28