:: Re: [DNG] ascii 2.0 installation co…
Author: Didier Kryn
To: dng@lists.dyne.org
Subject: Re: [DNG] ascii 2.0 installation confused by mount points
Le 10/06/2018 à 14:55, Haines Brown a écrit :
> On Sun, Jun 10, 2018 at 10:05:48AM +0200, Didier Kryn wrote:

>>>    called, it's a looong time since I last did this) so that it doesn't
>>>    appear in the mount point table (eventually in fstab of the new
>>>    install). I think what you are telling it is that you want sda1 to
>>>    mounted as / IN THIS INSTALLATION and that then clashes with your new
>>>    / (on sdc) that you're trying to install to.
>>      In the partitionner (which is not only a partitionner, but generates the
>> fstab and the filesystems), you should select "dont use the partition"on
>> every partition which is not in sdc. Click on "use partition  as"  and
>> select  "dont use the partition".
> Didier, that seems to have done the trick. I apologize for having been
> too hasty. Where the partitioner asks what to use a partition as, because
> the top options were simply file systems, I interpreted it to be merely
> for selecting file system and did not notice the "don't use" option at
> the bottom. When I marked sda partitions not to be used, I was able to
> save the sdc partition table and proceed with the installation.

> Now that installation of ascii 2.0 on sdc is underway and before going
> further I must figure out how to recover a use of partitions on sda. I
> assume that were I to use the menu to revert to partitioning and restore
> usage of sda partitions I'll just end up with the same problem of a
> competition of sda and sdc for use of /.
>
> When I execute a shell toward the end of installation, can I use it to
> run the command "parted /dev/sda set 1 boot on" both to enable sda1 and
> to make it bootable at the same time? Would the command "parted /dev/sda
> set 2 on" simply re-enable the second partition? I found the parted
> manual unclear on this point.

    I guess you don't want to use sda from your sdc OS. Therefore don't
do anything more. When you boot the OS on sda, then, this one won't use
sdc. And vice-versa. Isn't this what you want? Or do you haved changed
the partition table on sda, or erased some partitions there which you
want to recover? This can be difficult.

    If you want to share a partition (say home) between different OSes,
then, of course you have to mention it, but it's not recommendable
because config files of several applications are not backward compatible
between versions. Also private applications using dynamically linked
libraries might not find the proper version of the libraries. But of
course, it is convenient to mount the old home from another disk to copy
it to the new one to start from.