:: Re: [DNG] ascii 2.0 installation co…
Author: Adam Borowski
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] ascii 2.0 installation confused by mount points
On Sun, Jun 10, 2018 at 02:08:29PM -0400, Haines Brown wrote:
> The suggestion to disconnect the sda drive while I install the same
> version of the operating system on sdc occurred to me, but I worried
> about the effect of the resulting change in drive designations. In my
> case, by disconnecting sda my sdb becomes sda and my sdc becomes sdb.
> Will all of this sort itself out when I reconnect the old sda drive and
> boot it? After installing ascii on sdc I probably will have to select
> sda as the drive to boot in BIOS and then run update-grub after it is
> up.

This is exactly why modern d-i and grub use those unsightly UUIDs instead of
user-friendly "sda". You don't want the system to break just because you
removed one of the disks, or this time one of them took a few seconds longer
to spin up and thus lost a race.

Meow!
--
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀ I've read an article about how lively happy music boosts
⣾⠁⢰⠒⠀⣿⡁ productivity. You can read it, too, you just need the