:: Re: [DNG] no display of GRUB menu
Author: Haines Brown
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] no display of GRUB menu
On Sat, Jun 02, 2018 at 11:10:02AM +0200, Didier Kryn wrote:
> Le 02/06/2018 à 01:55, Haines Brown a écrit :

>     Hi Haines.
>
>     Could you describe more acurately the situation? You have two disks,
> each with an installed OS. I suppose your working system is on /dev/sdb and
> your new, non-booting one is on sda. On which OS are you running update-grub
> and grub-install? Let's clarify this before going further. I would like also
> to know how you reach this situation because it canhappen, but I've never
> seen that after a direct install from the installer.
>
>             Didier

I somehow managed to get my new principle disk to boot directly. Access
to its grub menu does not seem to have been the result of an update-grub
or redoing grub-install. So I have no idea why the menu comes up now.

The machine has three disks and four operating systems. The grub menu
from which I previously booted disks is that of a Debian Wheezy system
on an old disk. Its menu gives access to four operating systems on three
disks. a) One disk holds my new installation of Devuan Jessie that now
can be booted directly, b) second disk has Debian Wheezy with a workable
grub menu with which to boot the other disks, c) Devuan Jessie on a disk
that can't be booted directly (blinking cursor). I don't worry about it
because it was an auto-installation and I don't know how to use the
Xfce desktop. At some point I'll be installed Devuan Ascii on it.

The fourth operating system, a Devuan Jessie base system (no x server or
grub) is on partition 15 of disk (b) or disk (c).

I apologize for having raising a problem that then resolved itself
without my knowing why.

Haines