:: Re: [DNG] Switching to OpenRC
Author: wirelessduck
To: DNG
Subject: Re: [DNG] Switching to OpenRC

> On 19 May 2018, at 12:36, Alessandro Selli <alessandroselli@???> wrote:
>
> Sorry for breaking the thread, but I no longer have the original post to
> reply to.
>
> Author: Steve Litt
> Date: 2018-05-15 16:55 +200
> To: dng
> Subject: Re: [DNG] Switching to OpenRC
>
>> On Tue, 15 May 2018 23:39:24 +1000
>> Tom <wirelessduck@???> wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks as always for your insightful information Steve. Much
>>> appreciated. As someone who knows very little about init systems,
>>> can you explain what this respawning business is all about?
>>
>> Terminology: I call the init system we've used for 30 years "sysvinit".
>
> [...]
>
>>> I didn’t
>>> realise the existing sysv-rc
>>
>> I assume here you mean sysvinit when you write sysv-rc.
>
> I think Tom is not referring to the whole init system, rather to just the
> rc scripts:
>
> Pure SysV Devuan Ascii:
>
> [alessandro@wkstn09 ~ ]$ dpkg-query --search /etc/init.d/rc
> sysv-rc: /etc/init.d/rc
> [alessandro@wkstn09 ~ ]$
>
> SysV+OpenRC Devuan Ascii:
>
> alessandro@kratom:~$ dpkg-query --search /etc/init.d/rc
> openrc: /etc/init.d/rc
> alessandro@kratom:~$

Originally, I really had no idea what I was referring to specifically. After some more poking around, I think you’re right. I said sysv-rc because I noticed that installing the openrc package would only uninstall/conflict with the sysv-rc package and not the rest of sysvinit.

Hopefully that clears things up a bit.

—Tom