:: Re: [devuan-dev] synaptic failing t…
Author: fsmithred
To: devuan-dev
Subject: Re: [devuan-dev] synaptic failing to start from menu
On 05/16/2018 05:53 PM, KatolaZ wrote:
> On Wed, May 16, 2018 at 10:38:31PM +0100, KatolaZ wrote:
>> On Tue, May 15, 2018 at 01:23:42PM +0200, Svante Signell wrote:
>>
>> [cut]
>>

>>> Maybe it is this problem:
>>> https://git.devuan.org/devuan-packages/policykit-1/merge_requests/4/com
>>> mits
>>>
>>> If verified I can push a new version of polkit for ascii-proposed.
>>>

>> Hi Svante,
>>
>> that PR seems to solve the problem when the root account is
>> disabled. Indeed, NewGNUGuy confirmed that the installation of
>> policikit-1-gnome + the patch from that pull request actually solves
>> the problem.
>>
>> Svante, could you please accept the PR and bump the version so that we
>> can rebuild the package? In the meanwhile, I will rebuilt tasksel to
>> include the missing dependency on policykit-1-gnome in
>> task-xfce-desktop.
>>

> Forgot to say: the sole presence of policykit-1-gnome should probably
> solve the problem when the root account is enabled. If you could
> please test it in an ASCII RC installation with XFCE (and root account
> enabled) that would br great.
>
> Thanks
>
> KatolaZ

I just tested it in an install from desktop-live-rc with root account
enabled.

Before adding policykit-1-gnome:
- selecting synaptic from the menu did nothing.
- starting synaptic-pkexed in terminal asked for the root password and
then rejected it when it was entered.

After adding policykit-1-gnome:
- graphical password entry box comes up when started from menu or
terminal. And it accepts the password.

fsmithred