:: Re: [DNG] machine locks up switchin…
Author: Adam Borowski
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] machine locks up switching between console and X session
On Thu, Apr 26, 2018 at 07:56:52PM +0200, J. Fahrner wrote:
> I can second this. I have long years of experience with Nvidia and Amd
> graphic cards under Linux, and I can say: the "free" drivers for these cards
> (made by reverse engeneering) can drive you mad. Use the proprietary drivers
> for those cards, or forget them. I learned: buy only pc with intel gma,
> these are the only one with linux drivers that don't make you mad.
>
> In short: free drivers for Nvidia or Amd graphics are full of bugs,
> proprietary drivers work well, but not with every linux kernel.

Proprietary drivers don't work with newest kernels, thus are useless if you
even occasionally mess with kernel development. As for stability, it mostly
depends on the particular card model.

I had three different Nvidia cards in this very same machine:
* one where nouveau locked up ~hourly, proprietary worked
upgraded that to
* one where nouveau worked perfectly, proprietary randomly crashed
which went into flames (literally!), emergency-replaced with
* one where nouveau produces visual artifacts, proprietary dropped support

Meow!
--
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢰⠒⠀⣿⡁