:: Re: [DNG] printing in a D-Bus free …
Author: Arnt Gulbrandsen
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] printing in a D-Bus free system
Menelaos Maglis writes:
> Why should an application need a system bus to pass messages
> between its own components? CUPS is not using D-Bus and is able
> to print to other printers; only HPLIP uses D-bus, so far as I
> am aware. Why not keep using the same method/interfaces that are
> proven for decades? What is the benefit? How are printers from
> other manufacturers supported?

FWIW, other printers are handled using some other IPC protocol. Same
information sent back and forth, but a different socket and protocol. My
Brother MFC8880 uses IPP and... I forget the name of the other protocol.

Many HP printers can also be handled witout hplip. If you absolutely want
something from HP, the M506dn looks like a fine printer that ought to work
reliably for many years without peculiar host software.

Arnt