:: Re: [DNG] Suspend
Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Adam Borowski
A: dng
Asunto: Re: [DNG] Suspend
On Sat, Jan 13, 2018 at 10:51:39PM +0100, Klaus Ethgen wrote:
> I have a rather strange behavior recently with suspend.
>
> I usually suspend all my laptops to ram. I have two laptops, one with
> custom kernel (4.14.12) and one with the usual ascii kernel
> 4.14.0-3-686-pae (now). Both are ascii and both are 32bit.

While not nice, this is to be expected -- no one in the kernel community
really cares about machines this ancient; they at most get boot-tested,
usually even in an emulator, with such details as suspend receiving almost
no effort.

And, in the recent KPTI (Meltdown, Spectre) massive workfest, I recall just
a single remark about 32-bit x86, which pretty much said that there are no
fixes for these issues, and mitigating them is not on anyone's priority.
(Someone brought by some old Red Hat's 4G/4G patchset, but it wouldn't be
enough even if forward-ported.)

But, what is your reason to run a _laptop_ this old? I expect these to be
barely functional.

On the other hand, it is possible you're running a modern machine, just in
32-bit mode. This is not really supported: you may run 32-bit _userspace_
but with a 64-bit kernel.

And suspend support in general, well, tends to be spotty.

Meow!
--
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢰⠒⠀⣿⡁ Imagine there are bandits in your house, your kid is bleeding out,