:: Re: [DNG] eudev missing dependency
Author: Ralph Ronnquist
CC: Dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] eudev missing dependency
Olaf Meeuwissen wrote on 28/12/17 23:36:
> Hi,
>
> J. Fahrner writes:
>
>> Am 2017-12-27 16:28, schrieb Svante Signell:
>>> I'm not so sure we should add that dependency,
>>
>> Can you explain why?
>> When udevd calls mtp-probe in it's default configuration, then it must
>> be assured that mtp-probe is present. Anything else is a bug.
>
> Indeed but udev was designed to run any of the scripts it finds in
> /lib/udev. If libmtp-runtime installs /lib/udev/mtp-probe, *that*
> is the package that should make sure mtp-probe can be executed.
>
> I've tried to find an mtp-probe but the only thing that turned up was
> /lib/udev/mtp-probe itself. This makes me believe that the message is
> actually not saying that mtp-probe cannot be found but that it can not
> (or no longer) find /sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:14.0/usb3/3-4 for
> some reason.
>
> BTW, on my system libmtp-runtime appears to have been pulled in by vlc.
>
> Hope this helps,

It seems /lib/udev/mtp-probe is from package libmtp-runtime, while
/lib/udev/rules.d/69-libmtp.rules, which is the rule using the program,
is from package libmtp-common. But their declared dependency is
reversed: the former is declared to depend on the latter, and not vice
versa. Thus, if you happen to install libmtp-common for some reason
other than installing libmtp-runtime, you'll end up with that log complaint.

Ralph.