:: Re: [DNG] Debian Devs using OSx? wa…
Author: KatolaZ
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Debian Devs using OSx? was Devuan in the German Wikipedia
On Thu, Dec 21, 2017 at 09:24:51AM +0000, Arnt Gulbrandsen wrote:
> katolaz@??? writes:
> >I don't see how macbooks could be the "standard" among developers
> >(BTW, what kind of developers?). I cannot associate any feeling except
> >*claustrophobia* to the very few times when I had to use a Mac. But
> >perhaps I don't qualify as the kind of developer to whom Mac is to be
> >consiered standard...
>
> Yeah, well, YMMV. I don't feel comfortable with my macbook either, and
> actually have reinstalled kde+devuan on my old, old nokia booklet and
> consider taking it on my next trip. The macbook has enough memory to be
> useful but the nokia has the right keyboard and... I don't know, there's
> something. I prefer linux.
>
> But at the companies that've provided most of my income in the past years, I
> can only think of two developers others who definitely didn't use Mac
> laptops. And at the IETF meetings I've been to, a large majority of those
> attendees who write code for a living brought Macbooks to the meetings.

Yes, I see. It's not that macbooks are preferred by developers. It's
more like they are forced onto them by the marketing departments of
their companies, who must ensure that their employees' laptops shine
at least as much as their competitors'.....and then we gasp at seeing
how much shit we have to shovel off our front gardens.....

The only time an employer offered me a shiny macbook I insisted to
have a Thinkpad x220 instead, which costed less, had a better
keyboard, did not require to run a virtual machine to have a sane
development environment, and is still working fine today (and probably
will for the next 10 years). But it did not shine at all. I guess I am
out of the game :)

HND

KatolaZ