:: Re: [DNG] Devuan in the German Wiki…
Author: Erik Christiansen
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Devuan in the German Wikipedia
On 20.12.17 10:08, Edward Bartolo wrote:
> Bundling various functionalities associated with an OS with an init,
> is a subtle way of 'encouraging' users to stick with that 'init'.

That seems overly kind to an obvious effort to create an M$-like monolith
which is too expensive time-wise to adapt to user needs and wishes, or
keep free. The mindless merging of functionality serves only to
corporatise the product through disempowering individual contributors
to what once was not only open-source, but open-contribution. That's
what stinks about the black-hole behaviour of systemd. The result is not
so much a Linux variant, but becomes Systemdix as that "init" beomes the OS.

> Having several functions in an init requires complex
> inter-communication between the various blocks comprosing that init,
> hence excusing complexity that makes extraction of particular
> functions from that init virtually impossible.
>
> I am repeating what many already know to highlight the ease with which
> deception can be achieved with the excuse of bringing Linux to the
> masses. I can only pity them as this is not about bringing Linux to
> all, but about making Linux just another Windows or MacOS. Linux is
> about choice and modularity where packages are like bricks in a
> building. Systemd is changing this concept into something similar to a
> building built out of precast concert structures that must be replaced
> as a whole and in many cases is difficult to find a replacement
> equivalent.

Megalomania has its limits, so long as the free strive to remain so.
Devuan is a beacon, and those who are sufficiently aware to care will
see that light and be drawn to it. If a corporatised faux-linux OS can
sell, then the buyers will doubtless also buy support, at the cost of
their own capability and expertise. There are three kinds of players
here, the sheep, the wolves, and the sheepdogs. It takes time for the
role of the third group to be appreciated.

Erik

--
(5)  It is always possible to agglutinate multiple separate problems
     into a single complex interdependent solution. In most cases