:: Re: [DNG] Trouble getting copied sy…
Author: Hendrik Boom
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Trouble getting copied system to boot
On Sun, Dec 17, 2017 at 11:36:19PM +0100, Didier Kryn wrote:
> Le 17/12/2017 à 19:13, Hendrik Boom a écrit :
> >On Sun, Dec 17, 2017 at 02:03:52PM +0100, Florian Zieboll wrote:

> >>To update the /initrd/initramfs/ of a not-booting system, I chroot into
> >>it, (mount the /boot partition) and "bind mount" /dev. Then
> >>
> >>$ update-initramfs -u
> >>
> >>and
> >>
> >>$ update-grub
> >First time I've done something like that in chroot.
> >It would be something like
> >
> >mkdir /ascii/dev
> >mount --bind /dev /ascii/dev
> >chroot /ascii
> >update-initramfs -u
> >update-grub
> >
> >?
> >

>     /ascii/dev should exist already. You just need to mount it.

It doesn't.

>     I suggest also the following:
>     mount -t proc none /ascii/proc
>     mount -t sysfs none /ascii/sys
>
>     This raises the question: "how did you clone your OS?" Because, if you
> copied it while /dev, /sys, /proc, and /run where mounted, then you have
> stored a lot of things that shouldn't be there. Better check and empty those
> directories on /ascii.

I copied them with rsync, using the option that copies one file system
only; i.e. does not cross file system boundaries. That's why there
is no /ascii/dev -- the original /dev was a mounted file system
created by I presume udev.

Which is why I thought I had to create the mount point in ascii.
Now I suspect I'd also have to create /sys /proc and /run as
additional mount points?

Or should I start over, booting refracta instead of my new system and
using refracta to copy everything when everything isn't the working
system?

-- hendrik
kk