:: Re: [DNG] NFS: was mounting /usr
Top Pagina
Auteur: Arnt Gulbrandsen
Aan: dng
Onderwerp: Re: [DNG] NFS: was mounting /usr
Steve Litt writes:
> It appears you're using NFS.
>
> Back in my youth, the wise men told me that NFS was a horrible security
> threat unless you also used YP, which was too sophisticated for me to
> ever figure out.

That's a long time ago and the world has changed.

Back then, the big problem was that people used "world-readable" and even
"world-writable" settings, then then the world turned out to be a big
place. Someone with UID 1026 somewhere could come along and read/write all
the files belonging to the intended UID 1026.

I remember NFS-mounting someone's file systems on another continent and
snarfing ungodly amounts of porn, it must have been in 1990 or 1991.

The world has changed. Packet filters and firewalls are now the default.
The risk that someone can come and impersonate UID 1026 isn't a major
factor these days.

Arnt