:: Re: [DNG] ifconfig deprecated?
Author: Martin Steigerwald
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] ifconfig deprecated?
Hello Steve.

Steve Litt - 21.11.17, 23:34:
> On Mon, 20 Nov 2017 22:55:36 -0500
>
> Hendrik Boom <hendrik@???> wrote:
> > On Tue, Nov 21, 2017 at 05:53:49PM +0100, Jaromil wrote:
> > > nono, as I wrote: that script doesn't works anymore, if ran on a
> > > freshly debootstrapped version of Debian 9. It seemed that rc.local
> > > wasn't executed anymore. But there is some confusion, since both
> > > brctl and ifconfig are legitimately deprecated. Assuming you have
> > > done better checking, then the failure may be caused by them
> > > bailing out.
> >
> > ifconfig is deprecated? What is to be used instead?
>
> A program called ip. It has commands such as ip route, ip addr, ip
> link, and several others. It's confusing and underdocumented, but so is
> ifconfig (which I never even began to master).

I do not find it underdocumented, considering:

merkaba:~> apropos "^ip-"
ip-address (8)       - protocol address management
ip-addrlabel (8)     - protocol address label management
ip-fou (8)           - Foo-over-UDP receive port configuration
ip-gue (8)           - Generic UDP Encapsulation receive port configuration
ip-l2tp (8)          - L2TPv3 static unmanaged tunnel configuration
ip-link (8)          - network device configuration
ip-macsec (8)        - MACsec device configuration
ip-maddress (8)      - multicast addresses management
ip-monitor (8)       - state monitoring
ip-mroute (8)        - multicast routing cache management
ip-neighbour (8)     - neighbour/arp tables management.
ip-netconf (8)       - network configuration monitoring
ip-netns (8)         - process network namespace management
ip-ntable (8)        - neighbour table configuration
ip-route (8)         - routing table management
ip-rule (8)          - routing policy database management
ip-tcp_metrics (8)   - management for TCP Metrics
ip-token (8)         - tokenized interface identifier support
ip-tunnel (8)        - tunnel configuration
ip-xfrm (8)          - transform configuration

Thanks,
--
Martin