:: Re: [DNG] ifconfig deprecated?
Author: Adam Borowski
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] ifconfig deprecated?
On Tue, Nov 21, 2017 at 10:32:34PM +0000, jacksprat wrote:
> the official line is that the "ip" command replaces "ifconfig". I only use
> the Busybox version of ifconfig. You could use the Busybox version in the
> interim. The ip command is cool, though.

No one is removing ifconfig yet, it's merely not installed by default
anymore -- so if you insist, just "apt install net-tools".

ifconfig is inadequate for a number of widespread setups, though, and will
provide bad output without a warning. You had two decades to migrate --
this is about the slowest deprecation I've seen, as it has been degraded
from priority:important to priority:optional only now.

Meow!
--
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢰⠒⠀⣿⡁ Imagine there are bandits in your house, your kid is bleeding out,