:: Re: [DNG] WARNING: lvm2 > 2.02.173-…
Author: Alessandro Selli
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] WARNING: lvm2 > 2.02.173-1 breaks some systems and makethem unbootable
On Mon, 13 Nov 2017 at 12:42:50 +0100
Adam Borowski <kilobyte@???> wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 13, 2017 at 01:14:43AM +0100, Alessandro Selli wrote:
>> On Sun, 12 Nov 2017 at 19:45:02 +0100
>> Adam Borowski <kilobyte@???> wrote:

>>> The work involved is not just "zero", it's _massive_. Have you looked
>>> at how extensive dependency chains can be for complex setups? Try
>>> mounting a filesystem over wifi that requires a fancy authentication
>>> daemon. Every involved package, and every library recursively depended
>>> upon by one of those packages, would need to be moved
>>> to /{bin,sbin,lib}/.
>>
>> Looks trivial to me: /bin, /sbin executables have their dependencies and
>> libraries in /lib on the same filesystem, just like /usr/bin, /usr/sbin
>> and /usr/lib. What's so complicated?
>
> But _which_ executables and libraries?

Any ELF one.

> Are you prepared to move for example Java to /bin|/lib? It's an insane
> language, yet somehow loved by enterprisey stuff, and is needed to
> authenticate. And its dependency chains are extensive. This is not just
> Java, there are far, far more such weird (to us) setups.

Are you jocking? We were talking of the boot process on a machine
with /usr sitting on it's own partition. Do you know of some Unix that needs
Java to boot or to mount it's filesystems?

> There's no sane way to move libraries at install time -- an universal
> distribution would have to put into /lib anything that even a single user
> needs.
>
> And then, imagine you're the maintainer of some random library. You don't
> care about Java, yet someone wrote java bindings to your library. Suddenly
> you'd need to move everything to /lib. Would you get angry?
>
> At some point, you say "enough".

Yes, I would say "enought", but I would say so to coders who take absurd
design decisions.

>>> Debian, with its north of 1000 developers, decided that, despite trying,
>>> it's a lost cause. Do you think Devuan with 5 can do better?
>>
>> Last time I checked, Devuan does allow having /usr on a separate
>> filesystem from /.
>
> Yes, but only if you use an initrd.

I'm fine with it, I would need it just the same to unlock the cryptsetup'ed
root filesystem.

> Some simple cases might work as such
> support was dropped only late during the Stretch development cycle, but in
> the future, you'd need to change several hundred packages.

Just the same as with systemd, isn't it?

Alessandro