:: Re: [DNG] WARNING: lvm2 > 2.02.173-…
Author: Joerg Reisenweber
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] WARNING: lvm2 > 2.02.173-1 breaks some systems and make them unbootable
On Sun 12 November 2017 21:54:36 Steve Litt wrote:
> One more thing: What did people do before maybe 2010,
> when /sbin, /bin, /usr/sbin, and /user/bin were four separate
> directories? Was life that hard back then? Were develpers smarter?

I'd bet all and my butt on the latter ;-) It's just too obvious.

Maybe intitially it was just systemd cabal who noticed that managing
dependencies in init process isn't exactly a nobrainer and thus (and because
of feature creep like needing d-bus and other high level crap in init) and not
willing to cope with the fallout that correctly beem described as dependency
hell in package/lib dependencies decided to rather cram /usr/ into / - after
all it's just in line with the monolithic approach of systemd at large. Now
probably more and more devels simply take it as granted that they don't need
to learn about deoendencies anymore.
What a depressing thought :-/

/j