:: Re: [DNG] Problem with xorg on 6th …
Author: Arnt Karlsen
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Problem with xorg on 6th gen Intel cpus
On Tue, 7 Nov 2017 12:08:08 -1000, Joel wrote in message
<20171107220808.GA18903@sprite>:

> Hi Jack,
>
> On Sat, Oct 15, 2016, jack wrote:
> > I have been stumped by a problem with Devuan 1-beta running on 6th
> > generation Intel processors [i5-6200u, celeron n3050]. I am using
> > openbox as a window manager/desktop [but same happens with XFCE4],
> > starting from a tty with:
> >
> > startx
> >
> > which brings up openbox and an lxterminal. All is fine until I
> > attempt to exit xorg and return to the tty: the following errors
> > are issued and the screen freezes, unresponsive to anything other
> > than a power cycle:
> >
> >   xinit: connection to X server lost
> >   waiting for X server to shut down XIO: fatal error 4
> >     (Interrupted system call) on X server ":0"
> >   after 614 requests (614 known processed) with 0 events
> >     remaining
> >   .error setting MTRR (base = 0x..., size=0x..., type=1)
> >     invalid argument (22)
> >   (EE) server terminated succesfully (0).  Closing log file.

> > The /var/log/Xorg.0.log file is corrupted.
> >
> > my .xinitrc is a simple
> >
> > lxterminal&
> > exec openbox
> >
> > From the error messages, you would think think xorg completed fine,
> > but I put "echo" messages in "startx" before and after the "xinit"
> > command, and the second does not appear.
> >
> > I am using Void Linux [4.5.2 kernel] on the 6200u laptop without
> > problems, but I also installed Slitaz Linux, which has a 3-series
> > kernel.
> >
> > I would appreciate any help that others here can give.
>
> I can offer a couple ideas.
>
> There is a choice of a couple of video drivers for X,
> notably, the VESA driver is the most generic.
> and may be worth trying out. You can specify that in
> /etc/X11/xorg.conf, as detailed here:
>
> http://kimbriggs.com/computer/x11-xorg-conf-vesa-driver
>
> Of course you may want to see what video module is loaded.
> I see that
>
>     cat /proc/modules

> should work. I'm used to using 'lsmod' for that.
>
> You can set various video modes at boot time:
>
> https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/71231/grub2-and-kernel-vga-parameter
>
> This could also make a difference.
>
> hth,
>
> joel
>
> > Jack

..in my messy case (Devuan Jessie with (experimental) vdev-0.1.2 and
nouveau on a Dell Precision M4400 (G96GLM [Quadro FX 770M] video)),
it first tries to load nvidia and fails, dumping me into a vga style
console. I "usually" 'modprobe -vr nvidia ;sleep 2 ;modprobe -v \
nouveau' and then restart kdm, if I don't see Console: switching to
colour frame buffer device 240x75 and X/kdm @ 1920x1200x32@59.*Hz,
I just kill X and do a 'modprobe -vr nouveau ;sleep 2 ;modprobe -v \
nouveau', 2 may be a little short sleep time, but has failed me only
once the last 5 years.

..I may be a wee bit old fashion, I "usually" ;o) reboot only on
kernel upgrades and power grid downtime out-lasting my battery.

Scenarios always come in sets of three: