:: Re: [DNG] Google abandons UEFI in C…
Author: Martin Steigerwald
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Google abandons UEFI in Chromebooks
Steve Litt - 30.10.17, 12:08:
> On Mon, 30 Oct 2017 12:53:45 +0100
>
> Martin Steigerwald <martin@???> wrote:
> > Actually I´d make firmware pretty dumb and implement as much as I can
> > in loaded software. Just enough firmware to actually install / boot a
> > bootloader which loads an operating kernel and initial ram disk.
>
> Which is pretty much what we had in MBR. Which is why I always try to
> boot MBR.

I now read through the slides about NERF and well… it appears that with non
extensible they have simplicity in mind. They relay all the extensibility to
the go based user space Initramfs. I am not sure whether some go based thing
would have been needed her but I am thankful for any efforts to rid systems of
proprietary firmware crap. Even better tough: Not putting in the crap in the
first place. No crap inside? No effort needed to rip it out again.

--
Martin