:: Re: [DNG] Google abandons UEFI in C…
Author: Martin Steigerwald
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Google abandons UEFI in Chromebooks
Didier Kryn - 30.10.17, 13:13:
> Le 30/10/2017 à 12:53, Martin Steigerwald a écrit :
> > To my knowledge up to now Intel provides the mobile
> > processors with the best processing power / energy consumption ratio.
>
>      Are there numbers somewhere?

I bet there are, but I have no links at hand.

Michael Larabel of Phoronix.com tested against ARM and an Intel i7 crunched a
ton of ARM cores to nothing, but this has been some years already.

Granted, my impression is from what I read and also the utter and complete
lack of any good quality business related laptops with AMD processors. Recent
laptops from ThinkPad and other vendors have a greatly improved battery life
and there are mobile versions of Intel CPU/GPU combos with 15 Watt Thermal
Design Power (TDP). We use Intel NUCs for certain tasks meanwhile and they
come daringly close to the performance of fully blown 19 inch servers. All
TDPs I read about AMD Ryzen CPUs have been way higher… *except* some of their
new Ryzen mobile CPUs. I know its just TDP… but if either AMD or ARM would
offer any CPU that could compete on speed/energy ratio, I´d bet at least some
manufacturers would be using it, but other than gaming laptops I have seen
nothing with AMD technology so far. Which is a pity, cause I like to buy
something from them as I am not happy with the Intel monopoly.

So I ask you: Are you aware of any other than Intel laptop with a good speed/
energy ratio? One that is actually a laptop and not a power hungry portable
workstation?

Regarding PowerPC based laptops there is an initiviate of Power 2 People.org

Thanks,
--
Martin