:: Re: [DNG] First steps on possible r…
Author: Steve Litt
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] First steps on possible runit package
On Sun, 29 Oct 2017 11:38:39 +0100
Adam Borowski <kilobyte@???> wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 29, 2017 at 06:00:35AM -0400, Steve Litt wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I wrote to runit author Gerrit Pape about his vision of how runit
> > should be implemented, and also the supervision list with a couple
> > questions. Hopefully, when I get a partner to do the actual
> > packaging, it will go fairly quickly.
>
> Why not start with Dmitry Bogatov's work?

Assuming Gerrit Pape doesn't hate the way Dmitry did it, that might be
a good idea. Is there a way I could install Dmitry's package or
packages directly on Devuan?

Also, while I have your attention, all you guys talk about two
different packages: runit and runit-init. I assume runit is the
supervisor and runit-init is PID1 plus the RC files, but of course I
could be wrong. Any education would be great.

One more thing. I *VERY* strongly believe that installing one init
system should not deinstall another init system. Seeing as we'll
eventually have working packages for runit, s6, daemontools-encore,
busybox init and who knows what else, there must be some early design
to prevent them from filename clashing. For instance,
using /var/service for all of them is a bad idea. /etc/sv is another
possible clash if it's used for daemontools-encore and/or s6.

Anyway, if I do this thing, I'm going to do it in a way enabling
alternate inits to exist on the computer in much the same way and for
much the same reason as we're allowed and encouraged to keep multiple
kernels.

SteveT

Steve Litt
October 2017 featured book: Rapid Learning for the 21st Century
http://www.troubleshooters.com/rl21