:: Re: [DNG] UEFI and Secure Boot
Author: zap
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] UEFI and Secure Boot

On 10/23/2017 04:18 PM, Edward Bartolo wrote:
> Quote: "secure operating system"
>
> Where can I get that? Linux does have vulnerabilities. Together with
> that, a kernel alone doesn't do much. Other packages are needed which
> add up more attack surface area.
>
> You do remember when kernel.org itself was hacked without anyone
> noticing anything for seventeen days?

Nah, it was probably before I started using any form of linux.

but yeah, linux is a secure operating system IF, and this is a big if
you have some of these things:

a firewall like gufw or something better
you constantly update your packages when new updates arrive
noscript on your firefox based web browser (this is a given which no one
should avoid using)
firetools is how you use your web browser/internet connecting applications
your web browser is firefox based with the garbage disabled but still
regularly updated
you have a security focused linux distro (not ubuntu xD)
no blobs of any kind with regard to wifi especially!

Other things that would be helpful would of course not use pulseaudio or
systemd... . But meh... kind of hard not to use pulseaudio... systemd is
becoming a nightmare for many I am sure.

It is also notable that blobs are awful for security
I try to do all these things, and also you should use something like
librecmc or lede for your router.

Yes linux may have vulnerabilities, but they can be easily worked around
if you learn enough about ways to make your system more secure.

Not all of the vulnerabilities, but more than you think.

ps, I do most of the things I mentioned...  but I do not have a way to
remove pulseaudio yet as of now...

I would love to though given its security implications...