:: Re: [DNG] Allwinner Olimex OLinuXin…
Author: John Franklin
To: Nate Bargmann
CC: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Allwinner Olimex OLinuXino MICRO (A20) Devuan Jessie no Ethernet

> On Oct 12, 2017, at 10:01 PM, Nate Bargmann <n0nb@???> wrote:
>
> In the mean time, I have a practical need for something that supports
> SATA and has no fan. I hate hate hate fans! The Pi is unreliable with
> a USB hard drive what with its USB and Ethernet being on shared
> interrupts. BTDT, lost the data once. Other boards don't have the
> accessory support of the Pi or Olimex. At least with this board I
> acquired a nice case that will also house an SSD.

Are you looking specifically for something with the Pi’s bare-board form factor? The Zotac C-series of barebones machines also support SATA and have no fans. (At least in the spin-and-move-air sense. They have lots of users-that-love-using-them fans.)

I’ve got one running Debian as as Asterisk server, and works well for that purpose. At first I had a mechanical drive in it, a spare I had lying around. The spinning up and chittering was noticeable and annoying. Eventually, I swapped it out for an SSD.

jf
--
John Franklin
franklin@???