:: Re: [devuan-dev] Torrents
Author: Ivan J.
To: devuan developers internal list
Subject: Re: [devuan-dev] Torrents

On Tue, 26 Sep 2017, John Franklin wrote:

> We are currently seeding the 17GB torrent file that includes all
> architectures. I’d like to see it split into multiple small torrents.
> Certainly, I’d like to see this for the ASCII release, but I also
> think it should be done for the Jessie release, too.
>
> I know that modern torrent clients can pick and choose which files to
> download, but I also know that users are lazy. They will just let the
> torrent grab everything and delete the parts they don’t need. The
> large size may also put off users who are leery to download a 17GB
> torrent. It definitely suppresses seeding from other users, who won’t
> bother keeping the torrent running to a 1.0 ratio, even if they wish
> to be good netizens and support the project.

The whole point of the torrent is being able to choose what you want to
download and seed. However if you deem users incompetent/lazy to do so,
I guess, along with the full torrent, we could provide individial
torrent files for all of the downloads.

--
~ parazyd
GnuPG: 03337671FDE75BB6A85EC91FB876CB44FA1B0274