:: Re: [DNG] Vivaldi
Author: mdn
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Vivaldi
Le 20/09/2017 22:26, airmoose a écrit :
> Since there is currently some discussion about Chrome/Chromium security
> concerns, is Vivaldi (based on Chromium code I understand) also affected
> with the same security issues?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vivaldi_(web_browser)
https://vivaldi.com/privacy/vivaldi-end-user-license-agreement/
Vivaldi is Proprietary software.
Don't trust what can't be audited.
Chromium is maybe "open source" but the permissive licenses that it has
permits to not share the source of the distributed binaries.
Like said at the beginning it can become Proprietary software thus you
can't audit it if it's closed.

Has for the chromium security problems that you mentioned chromium is
known for not being for the user:
https://trisquel.info/en/forum/chromium-unconditionally-downloads-binary-blob

> If no one knows, what procedure do I go through to determine the answer
> myself (with the understanding that I am basically a computer idiot, but
> I quit Windows entirely in 2004 and became an Ubuntu user until earlier
> this year when I jumped on to Devuan).

Glad to ear that.
If you are new to the free software world I suggest Icecat has a
browser, then activate or deactivate what addons you want in it.
One addon that I recommend if you want to go the easy way is "µblock
origin" and if you want the hard but secure way I suggest "umatrix".
Good luck.