:: Re: [DNG] Gnome?
Author: golinux
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Gnome?
On 2017-09-20 14:22, John Franklin wrote:
>> On Sep 20, 2017, at 2:07 PM, Steve Litt <slitt@???>
>> wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, 20 Sep 2017 11:31:38 -0400
>> John Franklin <franklin@???> wrote:
>>
>>> That said, there are plenty who either like it or at least have
>>> gotten used to it. If we could get Gnome working here, it would
>>> attract more users to Devuan.
>>
>> Serious question: Do we want that kind of user? Somebody who knows
>> enough to discern a difference between Gnome and Xfce, but doesn't
>> understand how interchangeable WMDEs are, nor how much work it would
>> take Devuan to keep on undoing all the systemd dependencies Gnome will
>> doubtlessly keep sewing into Gnome?
>>
>> You can't please all the people all the time, and prioritization of
>> resources means some are simply going to choose other distros.
>
> Yes, we do want them, because we want enough users of Gnome here so we
> can tell the Gnome project to make systemd conditional in their source
> tree, and to accept the patches we (and others) will send upstream.
> We have to be able to show tangible demand for a systemd-free Gnome
> shell, and the easiest way is popcon.
>
> Of course, I’d like to think some of those users would, in fact, know
> the difference between Gnome and XFCE, prefer Gnome (for whatever
> reason), and have the technical skills to help keep it patched.
>
> jf

If you (or someone else) puts a team together to do the work - yeah, I'm
pretty sure it will take a team to sort through all that gnome has to
'offer - it would probably find it's way into Devuan. Since there
aren't even enough devs to get ascii out the door, I doubt you'll find
anyone wanting to scratch that itch in this camp. FYI, we not only have
systemd refugees here, we have plenty of gnome refugees too. The
closest Devuan comes to gnome is a version of cinnamon maintained by
antofox at https://git.devuan.org/AntoFox/Cinnamon

golinux
(who parted ways with gnome2 when gnome3 arrived)